Titan track and field slow on season start

In the third meet of the season, the Titans lost to the Jasper Wildcats with a final score of 97-34 on Tuesday, April 13.

Gibson Southern’s track and field team had a rocky start to its season, as the majority of the team’s roster consists of underclassmen. The there are 15 freshmen, eight sophomores, and a combined total eight upperclassmen on the team, with two currently injured. 

“Our team, this season, is very young, and we are inexperienced,” throwing coach Ron Khale said. “For a lot of our team, this is the first time they will have played for varsity. [However], we do have a roster filled with very talented young men, and once we get our two upperclassmen back, that will help a lot.” 

Gibson Southern competed in three meets so far this season, beginning with a quad event held at Gibson Southern. The boys defeated Vincennes Lincoln in a close bout to score the win with a final score of 123 – 104 – 39 – 28 – 9. 

For the team’s second meet of the season, Gibson Southern faced off against Boonville and Forest Park in a triangular event. Forest Park and Boonville both took the upper hands against the boys with a final score of 69.5 – 40.5 – 30. 

In their most recent meet, on Tuesday, April 13, Gibson Southern faced off against Jasper. The Wildcats ran the board, winning 13 of the 16 events, as they defeated Gibson Southern 97 – 34. 

“I think we have been playing well; I’m not really sure what [the problem] is,” junior Hank Kissel said. “We just need to put it all together.”

Kissel (discus), senior Owen Bryant (4×800), freshman Cooper Maurer (4×800), freshman Alex Spindler (4×800), freshman Hayden Pennington (4×800) and sophomore Macade Chandler (pole vault) gave the Titans their only wins of the day. 

Gibson Southern looks to bounce back during their next meet which is scheduled for Monday, April 19 in another quad bout against Southridge, Evansville Christian, Tecumseh, and North Posey.