Lady Titan basketball: back to back Sectional champions

Lady Titans defeat the Lady Tigers in Sectional championship

Provided - Yearbook

Seniors Alexis Tucker and Ava Weisheit hoist their Sectional trophy for all to see after beating the Memorial Lady Tigers 55-49.

It was a repeat from last year, only this time it was on neutral ground. On Monday, Feb. 6, the Lady Titans faced off against the Memorial Lady Tigers in the Sectional championship, for the second year in a row. Last year the Lady Titans hosted the Lady Tigers, but this year the two teams duked it out at Mt. Vernon High School. 

In a game that was a battle and every point earned, the Lady Titans came out on top, winning 55-49. The game had both crowds on their feet multiple times, yelling chants and firing up their teams’ players as each bucket was scored.

“After their own run, we started to close out and do a better job of defending the three point line,” head coach Kyle Brasher said. “Memorial hit four threes in the first half, and if they had another four threes, it would have been tough to beat them. The girls did a great job of taking that point and really applying it to the game in the second half.”

Sophomore Gabby Spink drives down court, waiting for the foul from Memorial. (Provided – Yearbook)

The Lady Titans started off hot with senior Alexis Tucker making the first bucket of the game, then senior Chloey Graham and junior Ally Malone each swishing a three. Coming down the court the Lady Titans were able to get a steal, in which junior Gabby Spink was able to draw a foul against the Lady Tigers. Quickly the Lady Tigers responded, hitting some open floaters and made three three point shots to stay in the game. The first quarter ended with the Lady Titans up 15-14.

“We just needed to remember to do all the little things, remember to scout and work together,” Spink said. “I think the biggest thing that helped us win that game is the toughness and never losing hope.”

In the second quarter, the Lady Tigers were able to dominate the floor, outscoring the Lady Titans, putting them ahead by seven, 30-23, going into the second half. 

“At half we talked about how we need to keep a high hand in the shooter’s face,” Tucker said. “We were going to be fine on offense; we just had to clean up the small things on the defensive side. After the run we had, then our coach called a timeout and told us to stay solid.”

Being down by seven as the second half started, the Lady Tigers could not find a way to make their shots, and the Lady Titans took advantage of that and went on a 12-2 run to put themselves back, and ahead, in the game. Spink riled up the Titan crowd, scoring nine out of the 12 points. The Lady Titans took control of the game by the end of the third quarter.

During the fourth quarter, the Lady Titans were able to keep the lead and forced the Lady Tigers to start fouling to get the Lady Titans to the free throw line, trying to get the ball back. One-by-one the Lady Tigers started to foul out and left them without options. This helped the Lady Titans seal their victory, 55-49.

The Lady Titans won with the lead scorer Spink with 24 points followed by Graham and Tucker who both tallied 13 points.

The Regional game will be against Princeton High School at Charleston High School on Feb. 11, 2023.