Five Titans advance at wrestling Sectional

Five Titans place in the top four at the Evansville Central Sectional

Provided - Yearbook

Freshman Kemper Pennington tries to keep control of his opponent at the Evansville Central wrestling Sectional.

The Titans kicked off the 2023 IHSAA Wrestling State tournament with their Sectional match at Evansville Central High School. There were eight other schools competing against the Titans. The top-four finishers in each weight class advanced to Saturday’s IHSAA Regional at Castle. 

The Titans started off on the mats with freshman Jax Coleman taking fourth in the 120-pound weight class. Coleman was able to hold his own throughout his matches and maintain several positions to lead him to that top-four finish. 

Sophomore Beau Rose was then able to capitalize on his matches in the 170-pound weight class by having back-and-forth duals with his opposing 170-pound counterparts. Rose was able to use his scrambling techniques, shot defense and head blocks to help him take fourth place. 

“My goal was to come away with a 2nd place finish, but in my second matchup I got beat,” Rose said. “I had to adjust so that way I could still come away with a spot at [the] Regional in my final matchup.” 

Freshman Brody Klem competed in the 195-pound weight class against fellow 195-pounder Caden Thacker from Mater Dei. All eyes were on this match as it featured many different scramble positions, and it went back and forth for the majority of the duel. Thacker came out victorious in the end with a 3-2 decision over Klem. Klem finished second in his respective class. 

“The Sectional was pretty easy until the final matchup, where I was tested by my opponent,” Klem said. “It was a good experience that will prepare me for the upcoming Regional and the things that may come my way.”

Sophomore Justus Dill competed in the 220-pound weight class for the Titans. Dill’s matches required him to lean on his experience and stamina from the season, as they were not easy. Dill narrowly advanced to the IHSAA Regional by taking fourth place in his weight class. 

“Our guys wrestled through tough conditions and were put on the brink multiple times throughout their matchups,” assistant coach Josh Elpers said. “As a whole, I thought we competed pretty well. Last year we had nobody make it out of [the] Sectional and advancing five this year is a big improvement.”

Freshman Blake Ulm is also advancing onto the IHSAA Regional by coming away with a fourth-place finish in the 285-pound weight class. Ulm has been gaining momentum all season and was able to showcase his talents on the biggest stage thus far in the season, to guarantee him a spot in the regional. 

The Titans who advanced compete at Castle on Feb. 4. These Titan wrestlers will be looking to get themselves a top-four spot to guarantee them a place at the IHSAA Semi-State.