It was a good Vaudeville, Charlie Brown

Gibson Southern Theatre opens their forty-sixth theatre season with Vaudeville 2019: It’s a Good Vaudeville, Charlie Brown, directed by Mr. Adam Bledsoe with the help of Lisa O’neal and Demetra Tolley. Vaudeville is a compilation of dances, skits, and songs all performed by students at Gibson Southern. Vaudeville is the most involved at Gibson Southern, with 1/7 of the students being involved in some way. 

Performances happened this weekend, December 6th, 7th, and 8th. There are over 175 students involved in the cast and crew to help bring “It’s a good Vaudeville Charlie Brown” to life. It included skits, such as Brooklyn 99, Family Feud, and Ken Instagram, songs like “Feeling good” and “Country Roads,” and dances from the decades. 

It’s a Good Vaudeville, Charlie Brown is celebrating the premiere production for The Gibson Southern Theatre from the inaugural 1974-1975 season, You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown, directed by Kathy Parks. Vaudeville was created as a fundraiser for the musical. When Parks first began the theatre program, the students performed You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown, with a cast of 7. They made a profit of $23. Thus, Vaudeville was created as a fundraiser to help boost the program.

To promote the show this week, the theatre department had a spirit week. Monday, students could be found in their pajamas. On Tuesday, the theater kids “dressed to impress,” wearing nice clothes. Wednesday, Christmas sweaters were found throughout the halls. Thursday, show shirts from past performances made a return. Students wore shirts from Newsies, Cinderella, past Vaudevilles, and more. Finally, on Friday, the students wore their new shirts.

“I loved being able to wear pajamas to school, and it was really cool to see everyone on Friday wearing their show shirts because it shows how many people are involved in the show,” junior, Olivia Weber said. 

Tuesday December 3rd, the theatre department held a press night, which is a time in which parents and the press could come and take photos. This is the only time that photos can be taken, and flash was allowed. It helps the performers to practice performing in front of an audience. 

“Press night was a great opportunity to get the word out about this years Vaudeville,” sound crew head Maddie O’Neal said. “ Family and friends got a chance to see their kids perform before opening night. It was awesome to see how many people were getting to see what we all have worked so hard on.”

During the Saturday night show, some members from the original cast made an appearance and talked to the current cast and crew about their love for the program and how proud they are of everything that the students have accomplished. Many of the students that played a narrator got their pictures taken with the person who played their character in the first show.  

“Being a senior is bittersweet,” Mary Hall said. “I’m so glad to have been a part of this department, but it’s sad to know that my time doing Vaudeville is over. But now I can look forward to the musical Matilda.”