Rader takes on new role as school nurse

Eva Spindler

Previously a nurse at Ascension St. Vincent and The Women’s Hospital, Laura Rader is now Gibson Southern’s new school nurse.

Laura Rader is starting her first year as Gibson Southern’s new school nurse. She previously worked as a nurse at Ascension St. Vincent and The Women’s Hospital. However, Rader stayed home with her six-year-old son for the past five years. She attended Wabash Valley College for nursing and is a North Posey High School alumnus.

__________

Southerner: Where did you go to high school and college?

Rader: “[I went to] North Posey High School and I went to Wabash Valley College in Mt. Carmel for nursing.”

Southerner: Where did you work before Gibson Southern?

Rader: “Before this, I got to stay home with my son for the past five years, but prior to that I worked at St. Vincent’s and Women’s Hospital. I did GI (gastroenterology) at St. Vincent’s.”

Southerner: Did you think you wanted to be a nurse when you were younger?

Rader: “I generally knew; my mom kind of talked me into going into nursing because she said that that was just what I had always done without realizing it. I always took care of people, so it worked out great.”

Southerner: Do you have a favorite high school memory?

Rader: “Getting to be part of the Y2K thing. I graduated in 2001, so I still remember New Year’s Eve in the year 2000 and how freaked out everybody was, and when nothing happened at midnight. It was kind of fun.”

Southerner: What is your favorite part of working at Gibson Southern so far?

Radar: “I love getting to see all the students. It is really neat to see how you guys are becoming adults and all your different personalities, and it has been really great.”

Southerner: Do you have a morning routine that helps get you pumped for the day?

Rader: “Usually I try to wake up before my kids get up, and coffee, lots and lots of coffee. And, I like to do yoga.”

Southerner: When did you get started in yoga?

Rader: “I’ve been doing it for years.”

Southerner: What is your favorite song?

Radar: “Oh my gosh. I love music, so that is a super hard question. Okay, “One” by U2.”

Southerner: What is your idea of a dream vacation?

Radar: “England, countryside, lots of old, thatched-roof cottages and cobblestone streets and sheep in the field.”

Southerner: If you were given a superlative in high school, what was it for?

Radar: “Probably quietest.”

Southerner: What do you like to do in your free time?

Radar: “I have two kids and a husband, so usually I like to hang out with them. I like to cook and bake. I like my plants and gardening. I have a lot of outdoor cats that I feed that are strays. They have kind of just hung around.”

Southerner: Do you have a favorite food?

Radar: “I eat pretty healthy. This is kind of a boring one but Greek yogurt. I love my yogurt.”

Southerner: Do you like your yogurt plain?

Radar: “With nuts in it and fruit usually.”

Southerner: What do you think is the best and worst part about being the school nurse?

Radar: “Worst part is you never know what can happen. The day can be going super great and then somebody will have an emergency. Best part would be getting to see my students that need me every day and just how they are doing and checking in with them.”

Southerner: Were you in any clubs or extracurriculars in school?

Radar: “I did color guard in high school, and I also did debate team. I guess those were the main ones. North Posey was mostly sports, and I wasn’t athletic.”

Southerner: Can you walk me through an average day of work for you?

Radar: “Usually, first thing I come in and unlock everything. I have about 10 students that get daily medicines, some more than once a day. Lunchtime, they are spread out throughout the lunch times. Usually at least a dozen or so (students) will be sick. That can vary from anything to ‘I want a Tylenol,’ to ‘I need to go home; I’m throwing up.’ It just kind of depends. Usually there is an ankle or a wrist injury or something in there. And then paperwork when I do not have students.”

Southerner: What are you most looking forward to this school year?

Radar: “Just getting to know the students and the staff, and just kind of learn more of the routines and everything that goes on. It’s actually the first time I have ever been in the high school (Gibson Southern High School).”

Southerner: Where did you grow up?

Radar: “New Harmony.”

Southerner: Have you lived here your whole life or have you moved around?

Radar: “We moved to Gibson County for my husband’s job six years ago. Before that, I lived in Posey County.”

Southerner: How old are your kids?

Radar: “I have a six-year-old and an 11-year-old.”