Titans run away with road win at Forest Park

The Gibson Southern boys’ JV basketball team extended its win streak, leaving the Forest Park Rangers lost in the woods on February 25. The Titans ended the game 70-58.

“I thought we started out kind of slow,” head coach Mark Monroe said. “We had eight turnovers in the first quarter, which was a season high for us.”

Despite the Titans’ slow start, the offensive side came together to put up 12 points in the first quarter. Both teams were back and forth the first seven minutes with Gibson Southern ending it with a slight lead over Forest Park, 12-10.

Going into the second, the Titans were looking for an offensive change to stop their turnovers. They found it with better ball control and making better passes, but the Rangers fought back. Forest Park found its scoring sweet spot from behind the three point line, scoring multiple points from behind the arc. At the end of the second quarter, Forest Park took the lead, 29-25.

“Heading into the second half, we knew we needed to get after them on the defensive side of the ball and slow their shooting down,” sophomore Mason Yancey said. “We switched to pressing them, and I think that helped a lot.” 

The Titans came out reinvented after halftime, creating fastbreak points at will. Gibson Southern doubled the Rangers score by the end of the third, giving themselves the largest lead of the game heading into the fourth quarter, 49-41.

“We came out playing a lot harder on the defensive end,” sophomore Oliver Hamilton said. “Which, in turn, helped our offensive game really get started.”

The Titans had multiple players involved on the scoring end, but their volley of points was led by freshman Garrett Reid with 17 points. Freshman Ethan Spindler added 15 points, and sophomore Mason Yancey put up 12. Sophomore Nick Shelton also dropped in two for the maroon and gold.

The JV Titans play their last game of the season on Friday, February 28 against the North Posey Vikings at North Posey.