Less than ideal scenarios do not stop Lady Titan swimmers

Ladies set new school records and topple other schools

This year has been a rollercoaster for the Gibson Southern girls’ swim team. COVID-19 caused many changes and inconveniences for the 2020-2021 swim season. Even though they faced many challenges, the Lady Titans pushed through the weeks one meet at a time.

Before the season started, the team was informed that because of COVID they would not be able practice in the Tecumseh High School pool, as they did last season. The search was on for a practice pool, and they finally found time in the water twice a week at the Lloyd Pool in Evansville. Finding themselves in the pool only twice a week was not preferable when other teams in the area were having routine two-a-days, but it was the reality for this season. Yet, the ladies still managed to set records and beat more established high school swimming programs.

“They kept swimming personal bests over and over again,” head coach Kasey Knaebel said. “Not just the new kids were swimming personal bests but also kids who were swimming for a while.”

Despite the challenges, the team set two school records in the 400 relay and the 200 freestyle relay. Sophomore Ruthie Mercer set two new school records with the 200 freestyle and the 500 freestyle.

“The team has done really well this season,” Mercer said. “We’ve only lost to a handful of teams. I think that shows the team is pretty cool considering we don’t have a pool.”

Spectators have been banned at most of their meets. Parents and fans watched their swimmers via a sub-par live-stream. To say the least, this season was not normal.

“Although this season was quite different from last year’s, that hasn’t stopped us from improvement and success,” sophomore Hailey Richter said. “We have had many personal and school records broken this season, which I would say is a huge accomplishment.”