Runyan resigns as head boys’ basketball coach

Search is on for replacement

The head coaching spot is now open for the Gibson Southern boys’ basketball team. Kyle Runyan announced on Monday, March 8, that he was stepping down as the head basketball coach of the boys basketball team. 

“My family and I are so grateful that we had the opportunity to come to the South Gibson community 7 years ago,” Runyan told the “Princeton Daily Clarion.” “I want to thank all of the student-athletes I’ve been fortunate enough to coach as well as their parents for raising hard-working, respectful young men.”

Runyan was at the helm for the Titans for the last seven seasons. Within those years, he posted two winning seasons, going 65-93 through his career. Within those two winning seasons, the Titans also won two Pocket Athletic Conference titles. 

“We appreciate Kyle’s commitment to our basketball program and Athletic Department in general over the past several years,” Kyle has always conducted himself with a high level of integrity and his support of our student-athletes is appreciated,” said Gibson Southern’s former athletic director and now principal, Jon Adams.

During his last season as head coach, Runyan posted a 4-12 record, earning wins over Evansville Central, Tell City, Pike Central and North Posey. The Titans season was cut short losing to Boonville in the Sectional semi-finals. 

The search to find a new head coach is set to begin immediately. Gibson Southern will lose three seniors from this year’s team: Jacob Spindler, Preston Riggs and Ryan Ziliak. The Titans will return their five starters from this year: juniors Carson Brindle, Mason Yancey, Drew Foster, Brayden Malone, and sophomore Cole McKee.

“I think overall coach Runyan was a good coach,” junior Carson Brindle said. “I think he did a great job at challenging us as players and men to strive for greatness and to never settle for less than what we were capable of. While I’ll miss having him as a coach, I’m excited to see what our next season brings.”

Runyan has a packed resume as he leaves Gibson Southern basketball. He graduated from Madison Grant High School in 1997. After that he then went on to play basketball at the University of Evansville. He also worked as head Coach at Pike Central from 2009-2012.